Friday, May 23, 2014

4 years in!

Today is our four-year anniversary. I only met Kristen about a year before that and things moved along rather quickly. I can truly say that the last four years have been a complete joy. When I was debating about whether to marry Kristen or not, I remember reading somewhere in the Bible that in marriage, a person's interests can be divided... between his/her spouse and the Lord. So, one of the things I thought long and hard about was whether Kristen helps me to be more devoted to the Lord or not.

DUH.

In those days before our engagement, I was paying close attention to our relationship and I realized how many times I would over think something and Kristen would say just the right thing to clear it up. I'm a guy and I need her bluntness like I need oxygen sometimes. And, believe me, she lacks nothing in that category... 

When I hear all the stereotypes that wives often get labeled with, I'm amazed that Kristen barely fits any of them. 

Does she nag?
Does she keep me from going out with friends?
Does she expect that I just "know" what she needs/wants?
Does she take forever to get ready to go somewhere?
Does she have to have plans well in advance?
Does she go shopping and spend a lot of money?
Does she tell me not to buy things you want (motorcycles)?
Does she get mad at me when you spend all night in the garage?
Does she roll her eyes when you talk about your crazy ideas?
Is she passive-aggressive?
Does she get mad when I want to play video games?
NO. 

Seriously, the answer to all of these questions is no (except for the eye rolling thing). For half of them, she encourages it! For example, she's ready to go anywhere in about ten minutes (if that) flat. I never have to guess what she's thinking. We fly by the seat of our pants almost every night (which sometimes has its negatives) and she spends very little on things we don't need. This has allowed us to pay off loans, save up for another adoption, and buy a new house. SO HUGE. She doesn't mind when I spend time in the garage and she's honestly better than I am at Call of Duty. I seriously scored big time.

On top of this, we share a passion for adopting children. She has been on board with this so much that we'll be able to adopt our third child this summer (fingers crossed!) and she'll get to stay home next school year while doing very minimal daycare. The things she contributes to our house are just amazing. I feel great knowing that I can leave for work every day and know that she'll take care of all home operations. On top of that, she works within the confines of our budget so that a family of 5 (soon to be) can live comfortably on a 4th-year teacher's salary. 

Sometimes when I step away from it all, I'm truly shocked with how luck I am. Kristen is reason number 1 for that. 

PS: I have 3 days of school left this semester and Kristen is on board for our 2500 mile, van camping road trip that was my idea and we'll be leaving in a week.

Does it get any better???

(All the other husbands can insert jealous feelings here _________).

No comments:

Post a Comment